Tuesday 19 August 2008

Drawing Conclusions




Wasn't quite sure what to do with my young Song Room students the other day. I showed them some scores from Stockhausen, Wagner, Bach, and Ligeti. Talked a little bit about symbols which could indicate different musical parameters without going too much into specifics.

Then I played them 6 or 7 bits of music of all sorts of styles. They listened and drew.

After they had finished I went through the drawings, singing them to provide ideas about how to read and perform the new scores. We tried a few and they all got stuck in.

Note that all students listened to the same samples - I think you will be able to draw your own conclusions about the different reactions to music. In some cases the students who were used to "knowing all the facts" were stumped and didn't know how to begin. Some of the Sudanese children did extraordinary flowing charts that I had a great time singing.

Have a look at these:
[clicking this link will download a pdf consisting of 15 pictures - approx 4.4MB]


No comments: